Born in Tarnow, Galicia at the south of Poland, in 1902. His family was a Hasidic family that had a trading business, and was, also, related to the Zionist movement. Between 1914 and 1916 the family lived in Vienna. At this time Mokady studied painting from Lazar Krestin. In 1920 his family immigrated to Israel and settled on Haifa.
Between the years 1927 and 1933 he lived in Paris. He was influenced by the artists from "The School of Paris" (École de Paris). With his return to Israel he settled in Jerusalem, and opened an art school in collaboration with Pinchas Litvinovsky. Between the years 1947 and 1948 he stayed in New York. Between the years 1950 and 1953 he was the Director of the Art Department of the Ministry of Education and Culture. Later on he became the Director of the Avni Institute of Painting and Sculpture until the year 1965.
During the 1920s, Mokady was creating expressionist- geometric paintings that included subjects from the Shtetl, influenced by Marc Chagall, portraits, and Israeli landscapes.
During the 1930s Mokady changed the style of his paintings, used darker colors and expressive brushstrokes. Starting in the 1950s his paintings underwent a process of abstraction and dealt with an abstract human images.
Mokady's works are part of many important museum and privet collections in Israel and around the world.